The museum holds an extensive collection of archival documents from over 140 one room schools that scattered Frontenac County from the mid-1800s to mid-1900s (including some City schools in Kingston). We also have official documents from the Ontario Department of Education and school board documents and records. Some examples of our archival materials include:
- Ontario Education Act (1885)
- School Attendance Act (1926)
- Reports to the Normal, Model, Grammar and Common Schools of Ontario
- Entrance exams from students
- Art work from teachers attending “Normal School”
- Minute books from various school sections
- Cashbooks from various schools
- School Registers
- Catalogues of Equipment
… and much more!
The database of publicly available administrative records (subject to Freedom of Information law) is available here. Researchers are welcome to contact the museum for access to the archives. Please fill out a Research Request Form to facilitate access to the archives. Responses to research requests can also be conducted online. Email the museum at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-544-9113 with your request and we will get back to you as soon as possible.